10 Mar 10 reasons why you should eat your food with your hands!
Posted at 17:23h in Blog 19 Comments
Eating with hands has been around longer than cutlery. The most civilized of the civilizations like Indus Valley, Greek and the Egyptians used to and are still practicing in their modern societies is that of eating with Hands. Hence, it’s definitely not barbaric. However, today as western lifestyles are becoming predominant, so are the usage of spoons and forks to eat.
Let’s look at the numerous health benefits when you eat with your hands :
- Touch is one of the most strong and often used sensation in the body. Feeling your food with your hands, you become more conscious of the taste, textures and aromas. The nerve endings on our fingertips signal the stomach to stimulate digestion.
- Eating with hands increases the blood circulation in the hands. When we eat with our hands, its usual to join our fingers and thumb to eat, this is actually a Mudra and has its healing power on the body.
- Eating with your very own hands automatically manages food portions and makes you eat slower. Digestion is better because you become more aware of the process of eating as you experience it with all your senses.
- A spoon might seem more hygienic but a hand washed before eating is much better than stored spoon, which is exposed to home microbes and other germs which can cause disease. Likewise, washing hands and mouth after completion of food is equally important.
- According to Ayurveda, Eating is supposed to be a sensory experience and it is said to evoke emotion and passion. According to the Vedas, hands are the most precious organs of action. Every finger is an extension of the five elements. An imbalance of any one of these elements can lead to diseases. Gathering the fingertips as they touch the food stimulates the five elements and invites Agni to bring forth the digestive juices in the stomach. Therefore when we eat we are putting together all the five elements and energizing the food we eat so it helps us become healthy and keep all our pranas (vital energies) in balance.
- Protects your mouth from getting burnt: Your hands also act as a very effective temperature sensor. When you touch food it is easy for you to gauge how hot it actually is, and you are less likely to put food that is too hot into your mouth – effectively preventing you from burning your mouth and scalding your tongue.
- Eating with your hands requires you to pay attention to what you are eating. You often need to look at the food and focus on what you are putting into your mouth. Such kind of mindful eating is much more healthier than eating with a fork and spoon that can be done mechanically. Mindful eating has numerous health benefits, amongst which the most important is the fact that it improves the assimilation of nutrients from the food you eat, enhances digestion and makes you healthier. Mindfulness leads to a sense of acknowledgement and acceptance of thoughts, sensations, and emotions to modify behaviors such as mindless masking our feelings with food, drugs or alcohol and binge eating disorders.
- Clinical Nutrition studies have found fast eating is often the key for causing imbalance in blood sugar levels in the body. Eating with forks and spoons correlates with faster eating, contributing to the development of Type 2 Diabetes. Eat with your hands to stay fit by preventing such diseases. Eating by hand also promotes a sense of fullness and satiety as compared to eating with spoons and forks.
- When the food passes your hand before it enters your body, it undergoes an energetic cleansing. As with any other material, food absorbs the energies of the people through which it passed: the seller in the market, the cooks, the waiters, etc. Naturally, all these people carry their own accumulated mental charge, negative and positive, expressed energetically in pains, feelings, emotions, thoughts, reactive patterns and conditioning. This is why energetic cleansing of food, by praying, placing your palms over your food, is highly important. Energetic cleansing of the food assures that most external energies will not infiltrate your body with the food intake.
- Our fingertips are related to solar plexus chakra (thumb) heart chakra (index finger), throat chakra (middle finger), root chakras (ring finger) and sacral chakra (little finger). And when we eat with hands, the motion and touch activates the chakras, remove blockages in the chakras by strengthening and stimulating the energy channels throughout the body.
Now you know why in order to completely enjoy your food, you simply must eat it with your hands. So, ditch the utensils and instead eat with hands that will ensure you are not just feeding your body but also your mind and your spirit!
Sandeep ShejwalPosted at 15:25h, 04 April
Very nice and important information. Thanks
Ajit BeheraPosted at 04:30h, 07 May
Wow ! Such a wonderful article and good information about the benefits of eating food using hands. I find all reasons are so scientific and logical. Thank you for sharing such important health tips.
Bandita PradhanPosted at 23:32h, 09 June
While eating with hands, we put together all the five elements and energise the food. It helps us become healthy and keep all our PRANAS in balance
Sasmita PradhanPosted at 17:52h, 10 June
Eating with hands require mindful eating which is much more healthier than eating with spoon or forks.
Krishna KulkarniPosted at 03:29h, 13 June
Eating with hands promotes the sense of fullness and satiety as compared to eating with spoons and forks.
LipiPosted at 04:14h, 25 June
Eating with hands increases the blood circulation in the hands.
Sabita SatapathyPosted at 03:09h, 27 June
The nerves ending on the fingertips signal the stomach to stimulate digestion.
DHARMENDRA PRADHANPosted at 21:10h, 07 July
When we eat with hands,the motion and touch activates the chakra,removes blockages in the chakras.
Pranita MathurPosted at 18:04h, 10 July
The food undergoes an energetic cleansing. It assures that most external energies will not infilterate your bodywith the food intake.
Saswati pandaPosted at 02:03h, 21 July
Wow it is a good information and knowledge we get by this article
Saswati pandaPosted at 02:16h, 21 July
Eating with washed hand is more hygienic than a spoon which is expose to microbes and other germ.
Sushanta Kumar MohantyPosted at 00:37h, 24 July
Eating with hands protects our mouth from getting burnt: as hands act as a very effective temperature sensor.
Santosh TanejaPosted at 20:34h, 24 July
Eating with hands makes you eat slower and causes better digestion.
Simhadri SwapnaPosted at 04:55h, 17 August
This article reveals the importance of eating with hands and it is not barbaric. Eating with spoons and forks now a days considered as sophisticated which is unlike according to vedic science. Vedic science and yoga has innumerable benefits which are to be brought under light. Jkyog is trying to do this, wishing to create more such awareness blogs in future.
PURNA CHANDRA BRAHMAPosted at 07:33h, 09 September
Eating with washed hands is more hygenic than eating with a spoon which is exposed to microbes and other germs.
DEBADATTA RAULAPosted at 11:04h, 09 September
Eating with hands makes you eat slower and causes better digestion.
Sailaja baralPosted at 18:43h, 10 September
Eating with hands require mindful eating which is much more healthyer than with spoon or fork.
Abhipsa PanigrahiPosted at 01:52h, 17 September
I just wondering how these simple eating habits can change our health system… I had no clues about the fingers with we eat takes the vital role in our digestion process .. eating with hands is healthier than eating with forks.. get rid of western culture.. follow the Veda and Veda have the answers of all questions..
Abhipsa PanigrahiPosted at 07:18h, 18 October
This article is beyond my imagination.. now I relate it to something like why our ancestors made us habituate to eat with hands. The mudra we made when we eat ,it increases the healing power of the body, it prevents us from diseases, it makes us concious to feel the taste and auroma of food… So many good things I got to knw from this article… Thank you Swamiji…